sejgirl

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Evaluations

Week 8 was the culmination of of our training evaluation at Officer Candidate School. I wasn't sure I would make it this far after being diagnosed with a stress fracture in my left heel about 10 days ago.

Our evaluation began after a 9 mile hike Tuesday (which started at midnight and involved a 40lb pack). The hike ended with the Leadership Reaction Course where we were presented a problem and were given 10 minutes to work through it while supervising 3 others.

I was presented with 2 platforms in the middle of what was basically a swimming pool. I had 3 boards and a box of ammunition and my task was to use my team to get the ammo from one platform to the other. Of course, the boards did not reach the platform. The main point was to see how I would react as a leader to a basically impossible problem.

After spending the night in the field, Wednesday, we went by squads (mine had 10 candidates from my platoon) and performed the Small Unit Leadership Evaluation. This evaluation involved small missions to be lead by each candidate. This event included briefing the squad and using tactical measures and movements to complete a mission, and possible engagement with the enemy. We would run about a mile between each evaluation site on hilly terrain as and added bonus.

My mission was to link my squad up with a platoon about 300 meters away. I had to use land navigation skills to make sure we were going in the right direction and also set my squad in a formation that would be ready for unknown enemy location. We made contact with the enemy (a Corporal shooting blanks sitting in a lawn chair behind a fortification) and successfully pushed through.

I passed both evaluations. My feedback from the evaluators basically stated that I am above average briefing others and using tactical formations. I have decent confidence and making decisions. I need to work on force and a gain a sense of urgency.

Aaron did incredibly well. He got a 100% on LRC II and 97% on SULE II. The more I think about it, I know for whatever reason Aaron was supposed to be here with me. I would not have made it through the first week without him.

I don't know what plans God has for us, but I see Him in every aspect of our lives. This training has been so difficult. It's far beyond the most difficult thing I have ever done. There are days where I have no strength, but somehow I make it through. I know it is God's strength pushing me through. There is no way I could make it on my own.

If all goes as expected, Aaron and I will be graduating August 10th. We purchased our uniforms today. I'm excited, but so nervous. I am going to be responsible for the lives of others and for our nation's freedom.


“For of those to whom much is given, much is required”
Luke 12:48

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home