sejgirl

Monday, July 21, 2008

Slow Start

My course started last Wednesday with some physical training. Our class adviser ran us all over our training area to see projects that we would soon be working on. The class ran in columns of two around the campus at a pretty decent clip. I fell out of the run after about 2 miles. I tried to keep up as long as I could-until my breakfast hit the back of my throat.

At the end of the run, we got the usual speech. "If you can't lead from the front, you need to think about why you're wearing that uniform, or if you deserve to wear it..." Once we were released to hygiene, my class adviser called my over. I knew what was coming. He asked if I was hurt. I told him I had just recovered from a sinus infection, but really, I am just not a fast runner. He said he understands not everyone is fast and wanted to make sure I wasn't gaffing him off. I assured him I was not.

More than anything, it's embarrassing to fall out of a run. Your classmates lose respect for you and more devastating, those you are leading lose respect for you. I've worked hard the last three months (really, the past year) to become a faster runner. I've tried everything from sprints, to hill work, to long runs, to fartlek runs, to hiking. So, that brings me to my next step-a personal trainer. Personal trainers are free here and I live 2 blocks from the gym. It's going to be hard work, but it will be well worth it. I need to push myself to the limit, because I expect the same from those I will lead. I need to push myself to the limit, because someday, my life and the life of those I will lead may depend on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home