sejgirl

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Legalist?

I was born and raised in the Nazarene church. Even though this has been my heritage, I have embaced these beliefs as my own-not just my parents. As we have struggled in the last few months to find a church, we have found many that are very different and very similar to the Nazarene church. However, even the churches that are similar (Wesleyan-Arminian in doctrine) are very different. I was excited to find that the United Methodist Church has identical beliefs as the Nazarene church. They believe that all have free will, prevenient grace, justification, and sanctification. UMC Beliefs
The Nazarene church split from the Methodist's in the 1880s, during the Holiness Movement. Obviously, this means Nazarene's put much emphasis on the Holy Spirit, but also founders of the church were concerned with the social principles of the Methodist Church. UMC Social Principles
Nazarene's have often been called legalists because of their lifestyle choices. The social issues identified in the manual are not mere suggestions, they are look at as essentials of the holiness lifestyle. The United Methodists see their stance on specific social principles as being whatever the believer feels as conviction. Nazarenes are pretty hard-line.
One of my professors summed it up well when he jokingly versed, "We don't smoke and we don't chew and we don't go with those who do!" So, I can see why people would state that we might be a little "Holier-than-thou." But to me, if you are going to live the life and be truly committed to God, why not give one hundred percent? I do my best not to judge those who are Christians and drink, smoke, have sex out of marriage...whatever. It's not my place to judge them. I do feel that those choices can be serious stumbling blocks for both the believer and those who are watching. If Christians live as everyone else, then what's the point of being a Christian? There is no difference.
Sanctification is what we consider a journey toward becoming set apart for God-that's what holiness is about. Holiness To me, that needs to be stated in my lifestyle everyday of the week, not just Sunday. But, I know that everyone approaches their journey with Christ differently. My convictions will not be the same as someone else's.
I am far from perfect-if you've read this blog long enough you might just notice my little anger problem... :) But, I try... That's all I can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home