sejgirl

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Perceptions about Independence (reflections coming back from my sociology classes)

While living in my in-laws' basement the last year, I have noticed that people tend to be surprised when I tell them about our living arrangements. I don't have a high paying job, but it's not low paying either. I get paid about the same as a "somewhat new to the field" teacher. Since Aaron does not have a job as to date, living with his parents has been a helpful option. Our only monitary payments are going to groceries, gas, student loans, and our retirement program.
Many people who have read up to this point will instantly think we are freeloaders. In fact, I year ago, I would have thought that. I actually still have difficulty not judging others in similar situations. I do not like hand outs and feel that Aaron and I work for out shelter. We cook, clean, shop for groceries, and do odd jobs such as painting. Writing this, I feel like I am trying to justify our arrangement. I am not. I paid for college myself, as did Aaron. We lived on our own for five and six years and in that, I feel the adjustment back to "dependency" has been even more difficult. My friend Angela (any time I talk with her I end up really long winded)spent a year in South Korea and sees how much our American culture plays into being independent. In asia, as well as other cultures, it is well known that families live together in clans or simply intergenational groups beyond the typical American "nuclear" family. I wonder if it comes from our beginnings as a nation. Our fight to be "free" and "independent" from Britain? I'm sure there has been a study on it. I will have to do some research...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home