sejgirl

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Too long...

Stupid allergies (I didn't have allergies before moving to MO) have kept me from running for three weeks! I have been running on the treadmills at the fitness center at work, but it's impossible to get a long run in when you can only sign up to use the treadmills for 20 minutes. My speed has surprisingly not demised into nothingness on these 20 minute runs (usually 7 1/2-8 minute mile pace) , but I know losing my base mileage will eventually destroy any speed I do have.

So, I set out on a one mile trek to the Katy Trail and began my five miler, braving the yellow pollen floating gracefully down from the trees gently finding it's way into my sinuses. I have to say it was a beautiful day. I started out at a 9 minute mile pace, hoping to complete my run in 45 minutes. My pace slowed about a mile and a half in, as I realized my Wall-itin (I'm cheap) seemed defenseless against the dust-like enemy. I cleared my throat and continued, turning around at 2 1/2 miles (23:20).

I got a crazy stitch in my side just as I began my return home. I slowed a little and totally thought my oatmeal was going to end up paving part of the trail. I gave in to my body's demand to slow down only because there were kids on bikes not far from me and I figured their parents wouldn't be thrilled with cruising through my breakfast. I walk half I mile and began picking up my pace. By my last half mile I was back at my starting pace. I was disappointed with my 55:50, but I realized I just need to get back into my routine. It's amazing how quickly you lose your endurance. Stupid allergies...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home