sejgirl

Sunday, July 30, 2006

WashMO Fair Run Results

So, pretty much swam five miles in the race yesterday. The humidity was crazy! The race began at 7:00ish, and it was already getting hot. I ran the five miles in 47:55 which is 3 minutes off my personal best. I think training on the treadmill in the nice air conditioned fitness center at work probably didn't help me much. :( I just wasn't used to the elements.

The course was fairly challenging, including a number of hills as it wound it's way around neighborhoods along the Missouri riverfront. About 200 runners participated. I definately wasn't anticipating the level of runners I would be up against in this race! The first female crossed the finish line in 31 minutes! I came trotting in near the back of the pack. I am almost wishing they weren't going to publish the results in the local newspaper.

I'm not completely bummed about the race and plan to race again next year if I am still living in MO. However, there is something I will do differently next time around: Bring a watch. They had people stationed at each mile to yell out pace times. I only heard 3 times yelled to me and when I saw the time on the clock when I crossed the finish line, I realized those times were incorrect. I hit mile 2 at 17:10. I was excited. I was faster than my goal time of nine minute miles. Twenty-one minutes, thirty seconds at the halfway mark. Excellent! Four miles in 37:25. I lost some time, but I could make it if I kicked it into gear. I sped into what felt like an 8 minute mile pace and kept it to the end. So, how did that pace somehow gain 3 minutes?

Race officials mentioned before the awards ceremony that they didn't start the clock until 2 minutes later. I am also thinking that the people stationed at the mile markers weren't exactly syncronized. Would that have changed things tremendously? I probably would have pushed a little harder to gain a minute or two, but my performance really goes back to my training. I should have been training more outdoors. Also, I've been training for a half marathon and not a five miler. In fact, I finished within seconds of another half marathon trainee (she has also run marathons).

I'm happy I raced. It was a good experiance. Now, back to training for my half marathon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home