sejgirl

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Slips Of The Mind aka. Graduation #3

I work in the Registrar's Office of a college. One of my main jobs is to make sure students have met requirements to graduate and keep a database of graduation applicants. I keep record of those graduating with honors and those who barely make it. I keep students informed about upcoming events and requirements. Finally, I post degrees and mail diplomas. Oh, and I have to stand on stage during the ceremony itself...
Since my sister-in-law's graduation lasted well beyond my 9pm bedtime (hey, I function best on 9 hours of sleep!). I didn't lay out my clothes for the college graduation that I would change into when my regular work day was done the next day. Also, I usually take showers at night. This insures that I have less chance of waking up late for work and not having to skip out on a shower... so yes, maybe I have had a few nightmares about this... If I forget to set my alarm, Heidi's (Aaron's sister) alarm will go off at 6:45am, giving me 15 minutes to get ready and go, which is doable when everything is done taken care of the night before. (Oh, and Heidi's alarm plays "It's a Small World After All" very, VERY, loudly-I'll explain the true irony of this some other time and tangent).
So, in my lazyness waiting until morning to shower and pick out clothes, I forgot one important article-a slip. I didn't realize until after work. I was going to eat dinner with my boss because we both live far enough away from work there is no point in going home and coming back in a couple of hours for graduation.
Now, my boss is really great to work with and easy to get along with. I serioulsy couldn't ask for a better supervisor. And as being a supervisor, she is very professional and classy. I think I am pretty professional-at least when working with students- but the classyness... I'm not sure I will ever be there.
So when I discovered my slip was missing I changed into my skirt and asked if my boss noticed. She said it was pretty obvious, so... we got to go to Wal-Mart to pick out a slip. Looking back, I am sure this should be entirely embarrassing, but in college my roomates and I would entertain ourselves by finding the biggest bras we could at Wal-Mart and stuffing them full... (other things to do at Wal-Mart)
So, finally came the time for graduation. It went quickly and without any problems, but there was one part of the ceremony that was forgotten-turning the tassels! Oh, well-at least they didn't have all the graduates with honors come up and give a speech!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home