sejgirl

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Would you like a Testament?

From: xxx-announce-bounces@xxxxxxx.edu
On Behalf Of xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:01 AM
To: 'xxx Announce'
Subject: A simple thanks



I appreciate the fact that when I decline the free New Testament offered that those giving them away are polite and leave me alone. Yet I wonder why they’re allowed to hand out these materials. It must be ignorance on my part. Can someone please clarify for me?


Thanks.
[signed, faculty member at my workplace]



As my friend Jill would say, this email really 'burnes my crotch!' What happened to freedom of speech? Why are we questioning if it is legal to pass out Bibles on campus? I am sure if other materials, such as the communist manifesto, were being handed out this would have gone on without an incedent. What about the Koran? Instructors and students on this campus advocate women’s rights, acceptance of sexual orientations, and religious tolerance- except the tolerance of Christianity.

Later that afternoon, a student came by my office. He told me he didn't want to be a bother, but there was a man outside talking about God and handing out Bibles. He was angry and asked why the school wasn't doing anything about this. Tonight, as I left our building, a clean cut older man asked my quietly as I walked by if I would like a Testament. I told him no thank you as I have several. He stood silently while holding out a Gideon's Bible asked nothing else.

What is our society gaining in return for such rejection? If it is not allowable to hand out specific materials on campus that some may even associate with politics or religion, then issues that are political in nature should be banned as well. It is perfectly legal for someone not associated with the college to hand out religious materials. The line is drawn when a public institution is forcing religion on students. This is not the case, however, I guarantee several instructors would suddenly no longer have much to talk about in class if this law was truly enforced.

Funny, this email came from one who has political posters and sayings wallpapered in his/her office...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home